NRS 451V Topic Two Discussion Question One
NRS 451V Topic Two Discussion Question One
One of the five elements of emotional intelligence is self-awareness. Explain why emotional intelligence is crucial for effective leadership. Discuss what behaviors someone with a high degree of self-awareness would demonstrate within the context of leading and managing groups. Provide an example.
Re: Topic 2 DQ 1: NRS 451V Topic Two Discussion Question One
Emotional intelligence is the ability to recognize, understand and handle one’s own emotion and those of the people around him. It is a trait that is linked to safer working practices and central to effective leadership and a foundation of outstanding quality care (Parnell & Onge, 2015). hence an important characteristic for anyone at any level of an organization but more important for those who occupy position of leadership. Leadership is naturally stressful mandate, being responsible for the fate of other people can sometime be overwhelming. Therefore, leaders who are low in emotional intelligence tend to unravel in stressful situation because they fail to handle their own emotions and this might manifest as verbal attack on others and even passive aggressive. This can create even more stressful environment where workers are always walking on eggshells trying to prevent the next outburst from happening. This often has a disastrous effect on productivity and team cohesion because the employee stay distracted by this fear to focus on work. This leads to a breakdown in collaboration within the organization because when a leader cannot handle their own emotions and instead react inappropriately, most of their employees tend to feel nervous about contributing their ideas or suggestions for fear of how the leader will respond.
Click here to ORDER NOW FOR AN ORIGINAL ORDER ON NRS 451V Topic Two Discussion Question One
Prezerakos, 2018 established that the nature of nursing profession itself, aimed at health promotion, disease prevention, care of the physically/mentally ill and disabled people of any age requires nurses to be emotionally intelligent in order to respond to their work effectively. Therefore, developing emotional self-awareness is a crucial first step in effective leadership because it lays the foundation upon which emotion and social intelligence is built.
Parnell, R. B., & St. Onge, J. L. (2015). Teaching safety in nursing practice: Is emotional intelligence a vital component? Teaching and Learning in Nursing, 10, 88-92. doi:org/10.1016/j.teln.2014.11.001
Prezerakos P. E. (2018). Nurse Managers’ Emotional Intelligence and Effective Leadership: A Review of the Current Evidence. The open nursing journal, 12, 86–92. https://doi.org/10.2174/1874434601812010086
Mansel, B., & Einion, A. (2019). “It’s the relationship you develop with them”: emotional intelligence in nurse leadership. A qualitative study. British Journal of Nursing, 28(21), 1400–1408. https://doi-org.lopes.idm.oclc.org/10.12968/bjon.2019.28.21.1400. NRS 451V Topic Two Discussion Question One
e: Topic 2 DQ 1
Emotional intelligence seems like a simple term, but it incorporates more than just emotional maturity. Emotional intelligence is when the person can appropriately recognize and control their own emotions, along with recognizing other’s emotions by evaluating their nonverbal and verbal cues. Our text states that emotional intelligence incorporates social and personal intelligence to respond to a situation in a therapeutic way (Whitney, 2018). I believe that emotional intelligence is essential to have adequate communication with your employees, especially when the leader is trying to enact changes in the workplace. This is especially important because realistically some changes may bring forth negative reactions, which may be upsetting to the leader. But if the leadership team were emotionally intelligent, they would recognize that some employee’s responses may be caused by other internal issues. As the leader, it’s important to recognize the reactions of your employees, be aware of your nonverbal reactions, and address their concerns.
Self-awareness is essential for nurse leaders or those in leadership positions because it’s difficult to connect or relate to others when you cannot recognize your own faults or emotional involvements. When a leader recognizes their own faults, they can use these faults to either relate to other team members or to use this to their advantage. A study done of 486 publicly traded companies showed that companies who have higher financial performance have more self-aware employees (Ellevate, 2018). An example of self-awareness in the workplace is a nurse who ends up having a bad morning, which is compounded by the fact that she has a nursing student waiting for her when she arrives on the unit. The nurse realizes that she has not been very polite to the nursing student for the first hour on shift, but once she has time to finish her rounds she sits down and realizes how her actions have negatively affected the nursing student. In this example, the nurse recognizes her attitude and how it has negatively affected the nursing students willing to be with that particular nurse. In this example, the nurse would apologize to the student and intentionally ensure that her attitude improved and made the student feel more comfortable.
Ellevate. (2018, February 16). Great Leadership Starts With Self-Awareness. Retrieved from https://www.forbes.com/sites/ellevate/2018/02/15/self-awareness-being-more-of-what-makes-you-great/#2cadcfed40dd
Whitney, S. (Ed). (2018). Nursing leadership & management: Leading and serving. Retrieved from
Re: Topic 2 DQ 1
Emotional intelligence is when a person can understand, manage and control their feelings and have empathy for someone elses feelings. They also understand the importance of handling everyone’s feeling with respect. A leader or manager should always take their employee’s feelings in consideration. This can affect patient care if it is not done and cause low morale in the work place. A leader should be able to handle all emotions in the workplace as well. Handling emotions must be done in a therapeutic way that is beneficial.
Behaviors that a good leader or manager should process are self-regulation which is to control you emotions and think before you react. Motivation to achieve goals (Whitney, 2018). Empathy which is the sense to understand some’s emotions. Social skills which give you the ability to manage all relationships (Whitney, 2018). When a nurse leader cultivates their own emotional intelligence, it encourages the followers to develop the same (Prezerakos, 2018).
An example of emotional intelligence being used is when my supervisor had to uplift the morale of the staff due to staff shortage. Employees were threatening to quit. The staff was complaining of being overworked and felt like no one cared. Our manager listened and understood. Soon after, travel nurses appeared. This made a big difference and it definitely boosted employee morale and allowed for better care for the patients.
Whitney, S. (2018). Nursing leadership & management: Leading and serving. Retrieved from https://lc.gcumedia.com/nrs451vn/nursing-leadership-and-management-leading-and-serving/v1.1/
Prezerakos P. E. (2018). Nurse Managers’ Emotional Intelligence and Effective Leadership: A Review of the Current Evidence. The open nursing journal, 12, 86–92. Retrieved From: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5997858/
Grading Rubric Guidelines
Performance Category 10 9 8 4 0
Demonstrates achievement of scholarly inquiry for professional and academic decisions. • Provides relevant evidence of scholarly inquiry clearly stating how the evidence informed or changed professional or academic decisions
• Evaluates literature resources to develop a comprehensive analysis or synthesis.
• Uses valid, relevant, and reliable outside sources to contribute to the threaded discussion • Provides relevant evidence of scholarly inquiry but does not clearly state how the evidence informed or changed professional or academic decisions.
• Evaluates information from source(s) to develop a coherent analysis or synthesis.
• Uses some valid, relevant, reliable outside sources to contribute to the threaded discussion. • Discusses using scholarly inquiry but does not state how scholarly inquiry informed or changed professional or academic decisions.
• Information is taken from source(s) with some interpretation/evaluation, but not enough to develop a coherent analysis or synthesis.
• Little valid, relevant, or reliable outside sources are used to contribute to the threaded discussion.
• Demonstrates little or no understanding of the topic. • Discusses using scholarly inquiry but does not state how scholarly inquiry informed or changed professional or academic decisions.
• Information is taken from source(s) without any interpretation/evaluation.
• The posting uses information that is not valid, relevant, or reliable • No evidence of the use of scholarly inquiry to inform or change professional or academic decisions.
• Information is not valid, relevant, or reliable
Performance Category 10 9 8 4 0
Application of Course Knowledge –
Demonstrate the ability to analyze, synthesize, and/or apply principles and concepts learned in the course lesson and outside readings and relate them to real-life professional situations • Posts make direct reference to concepts discussed in the lesson or drawn from relevant outside sources;
• Applies concepts to personal experience in the professional setting and or relevant application to real life. • Posts make direct reference to concepts discussed in the lesson or drawn from relevant outside sources.
• Applies concepts to personal experience in their professional setting and or relevant application to real life
• Interactions with classmates are relevant to the discussion topic but do not make direct reference to lesson content • Posts are generally on topic but do not build knowledge by incorporating concepts and principles from the lesson.
• Does not attempt to apply lesson concepts to personal experience in their professional setting and or relevant application to real life
• Does not demonstrate a solid understanding of the principles and concepts presented in the lesson • Posts do not adequately address the question posed either by the discussion prompt or the instructor’s launch post.
• Posts are superficial and do not reflect an understanding of the lesson content
• Does not attempt to apply lesson concepts to personal experience in their professional setting and or relevant application to real life • Posts are not related to the topics provided by the discussion prompt or by the instructor; attempts by the instructor to redirect the student are ignored
• No discussion of lesson concepts to personal experience in the professional setting and or relevant application to real life
Performance Category 5 4 3 2 0
Replies to each graded thread topic posted by the course instructor, by Wednesday, 11:59 p.m. MT, of each week, and posts a minimum of two times in each graded thread, on separate days.
(5 points possible per graded thread) • Exceeds minimum post requirements
• Replies to each graded thread topic posted by the course instructor, by Wednesday, 11:59 p.m. MT, of each week, and posts three or more times in each graded thread, over three separate days.
• Replies to a post posed by faculty and to a peer
• Summarizes what was learned from the lesson, readings, and other student posts for the week. • Replies to each graded thread topic posted by the course instructor, by Wednesday, 11:59 p.m. MT, of each week, and posts a minimum of two times in each graded thread, on separate days
• Replies to a question posed by a peer
Summarizes what was learned from the lesson, readings, and other student posts for the week. • Meets expectations of 2 posts on 2 different days.
• The main post is not made by the Wednesday deadline
• Does not reply to a question posed by a peer or faculty • Has only one post for the week
• Discussion posts contain few, if any, new ideas or applications; often are a rehashing or summary of other students’ comments • Does not post to the thread
• No connections are made to the topic
Minus 1 Point Minus 2 Point Minus 3 Point Minus 4 Point Minus 5 Point
Grammar, Syntax, APA
Note: if there are only a few errors in these criteria, please note this for the student in as an area for improvement. If the student does not make the needed corrections in upcoming weeks, then points should be deducted.
Points deducted for improper grammar, syntax and APA style of writing.
The source of information is the APA Manual 6th Edition • 2-3 errors in APA format.
• Written responses have 2-3 grammatical, spelling, and punctuation errors.
• Writing style is generally clear, focused, and facilitates communication. • 4-5 errors in APA format.
• Writing responses have 4-5 grammatical, spelling and punctuation errors.
• Writing style is somewhat focused. • 6-7 errors in APA format.
• Writing responses have 6-7 grammatical, spelling and punctuation errors.
• Writing style is slightly focused making discussion difficult to understand. • 8-10 errors in APA format.
• Writing responses have 8-10 grammatical, spelling and punctuation errors.
• Writing style is not focused, making discussion difficult to understand. • Post contains greater than 10 errors in APA format.
• Written responses have more than 10 grammatical, spelling and punctuation errors.
• Writing style does not facilitate communication.
• The student continues to make repeated mistakes in any of the above areas after written correction by the instructor
0 points lost
-5 points lost
Total Participation Requirements
per discussion thread The student answers the threaded discussion question or topic on one day and posts a second response on another day. The student does not meet the minimum requirement of two postings on two different days
Early Participation Requirement
per discussion thread The student must provide a substantive answer to the graded discussion question(s) or topic(s), posted by the course instructor (not a response to a peer), by Wednesday, 11:59 p.m. MT of each week. The student does not meet the requirement of a substantive response to the stated question or topic by Wednesday at 11:59 pm MT.
PLACE THIS ORDER OR A SIMILAR ORDER WITH SUPERIOR NURSING PAPERS TODAY AND GET AN AMAZING DISCOUNT